Moody Yachts description of the 44
The Moody 44 was introduced in August 1991, and ceased production September 1996. The production run was of 114 boats, and Enterprise was one of the last to be built by Marine Projects (Plymouth) Limited. The designer was Bill Dixon. Enterprise was one of the last Moody 44’s built.
Enterprise is a fully equipped blue water cruising boat, she is engineered for stiffness and strength and is fully capable of navigating the world’s oceans through the full range of cruising conditions. The Moody 44 was designed without compromise, the balance and power of her underwater sections and keel give superb sail carrying ability and stability for swift trans ocean passage times. This sparkling performance is complemented by her ease of handling by two people. The current owner single-handed Enterprise from the UK to Portugal and then two up for the crossing to the Caribbean. She is fast, in the USA the Performance Handicap Racing Formula (PHRF) assigns a number to every boat related to its speed over a mile’s course. The M-44 has a 106 handicap and that is considered pretty fast. But above all she is safe especially in big seas.
If the boat is sold at the full asking price then all the items in this specification are included. If the boat is not sold at the asking price then the items marked with * and listed on the pages below will not be included in the sale, but are available for sale separately.
- Upgrades & Enhancements
- Extras – Equipment
- Extras – Navigation & Pilotage
- Lloyds Register 90915
- Registered Port: Plymouth
- Keel: Fin
- Hull Shape: Monohull
- Designer: Bill Dixon
|-J 5.08 m 16’ 8”
-I 16.46 m 54′
-P 14.17 m 46’ 6”
-E 4.77 m 15’ 8”
|-Mainsail 33.85 sq m
-Mainsail 364 sq ft
-Furling Genoa 58.59 sq m
-Furling Genoa 630 sq ft
|D/L ratio 220SA/D ratio 19.66CSF 1.92
- LOA: 13.1m – 43ft
- Beam: 4.17m – 13ft 8”
- Maximum Draft: 2.01m – 6ft 6”
- Displacement: 34556 lbs
- Ballast: 10,500kgs – 23,000lbs
- Ballast: 4,000kgs – 8,900lbs
- Total Power: 50 HP
- Engine: Volvo MD22L
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Engine room extractor and s/s exhaust vent
- Engine room lighting
- Engine room temp gauge
- Engine exhaust temp gauge
- Fresh Water tanks x 2 – 100 gallons
- Fuel tank – 70 gallons
- Holding tank – 18 gallons
- Dessalator AC Cruise 60 Watermaker
- Plumbing to join / isolate each water tank
- Seagul fresh water filter system
- Dolphin Sails Genoa
- Ullman Sails Mainsail
- Spare genoa & mainsail *
- Arun Sails Cruising Chute (on Karver furling system) *
- Arun storm sail *
- Furlex system for genoa
- Selden in-mast furling
- Removable inner forestay witrh Highfield lever
- Selden spinnaker pole on mast
- Selden bowsprit *
- 2 x Lewmar 50 genoa s/t winches
- 2 x Lewmar 40 cockpit s/t winches
- 1 x Lewmar 16 winch – main sheet
- 1 x Lewmar 8 winch – main sheet
- 1 x Harken 32 winch – s/t main sail
- 1 x Lewmar 40 winch – halyards at mast
- Windlass – 1 x Lewmar Concept 2 heavy duty anchor winch
- Main – 33kg Rocna anchor with 50m of 10mm chain
- Kedge – 30kg Bruce anchor with 10m of 10mm chain & 30m of 16mm anchorplait rode *
- Snubber – 16mm Anchorplait bridle; 15m legs, s/s centre eye & 10mm Gripper *
- Remote windlass control at bow and at helm
- Rebuilt and re-inforced s/s stemhead and forestay tang.
- Zodiac Cadet 240 Aero *
- Yamaha F5 – 5hp *
- Security bolt for o/b *
- Security cable and padlock *
- Sunbrella covers for outboard*
- Spare oars and seat for dinghy *
- Custom s/s dinghy & outboard crane
- Raymarine e125 hybrid MFD
- Raymarine AIS 650
- Raymarine digital radar RD418D
- Raymarine smart pilot X30
- Raymarine autopilot head
- NMEA i/f cables for laptop
- Echomax Active X radar sender
Old tech – but very useful and i/f above
- Raymarine ST50 Wind, Speed, Depth Indicators
- Raymarine RL80C Plus Chartplotter at nav station
- Raymarine RL70 Repeater in cockpit with i/f to B744V echo sounder
- Simrad B744V echo sounder – brilliant kit for diving or fishing enthusiasts
- NASA clipper Navtex and external aerial
- ICOM IC-M502 VHF interfaced to GPS
- Raymarine remote command mic.at helm
- Iridium 9555 Satellite Telephone; external aerial and custom charging mount *
- Portable Tecsun PL660 SSB receiver *
- Handheld Icom ICM23 *
- Handheld Cobra *
- Inverter Charger – Victron MultiPlus 12/3000
- Generator – Paguro 4kva
- Solar Panels – Mono crystalline 185 W x 2
- Blue Solar MPPT 7515 controllers x 2
- Engine alternator – Leece Neville 100 amp
- Engine regulator – Sterling
- Domestic Battery Bank – Victron heavy duty 110 amp x 5
- Engine battery – Victron heavy duty 110 amp x 1
- Bow Thruster & Windlass Bank – 100 amp x 2
- Separate backup solar panel for bow thruster/ windlass battery bank *
- Fridge / Freezer – Waeco air cooled compressor (facility for water cooled)
- Separate isolator switches for engine and domestic battery supply with engine starting battery isolated from domestic circuits
- LED Tricolour
- LED Anchor light
- Halogen bow/stern navigation lights, deck flood light and steaming light
- LED red/white in saloon lighting and accommodation areas
- Independently switched reading and recessed pelmet lighting
- 12v fans in cabins and saloon x 4
- Cathodic protection with hull mounted anode
- 220v Shore power point; cable and various adaptors
- Binnacle cover, & fenders
- Water heater running from the engine or 220V
- Automatic bilge pumps x 2
- GME EPIRB AccuSAT
- Jordan series drogue *
- Vtronic Shorelink emergency VHF aerial *
- Pains Wessex offshore flares in large container *
- Ocean Safety 9650-1 GroupA – hard case 6 man liferaft *
- Ocean safety ISO >24hr grab bag *
- Emergency washboard
- OSCAR MOB rescue sling
- Wheel steering pedestal with stainless steel binnacle guard
- Binnacle mounted compass; bow thruster control; remote mic; remote windlass control
- Cockpit seats and sole finished in teak
- Engine instrument panel plus binnacle mounted engine control lever
- Stainless steel grab handles each side of companionway
- Teak doors with safety lock leading to companionway steps
- Custom hard doghouse with teak surround and hard windscreen with opening vent
- Large L shaped settee to port with top lockers outboard to the hull side and additional storage behind and the seating area.
- Extending leaf dining table with drinks cabinet incorporated into the table pillar
- Straight settee to provide additional seating to starboard side of the table allowing the dining area to comfortably seat eight people.
- Additional storage can be found behind the seat back rests.
- Newport Dickenson diesel heater
Galley and Equipment
- Large U shaped galley area with worktop.
- Stainless sinks with mixer tap inset in the worktop together with Seagull filtered drinking water outlet
- Stainless steel two burner gimballed cooker complete with oven, grill, sea rail and pan clamps.
- Large custom built fridge & freezer with timber veneer panel door.
- A microwave is built into the top locker furniture together with a galley extraction unit (12v) over the cooker.
- Galley lower units contain numerous lockers with ample storage for provisions, crockery etc and drawers for cutlery and utensils.
- A purpose built locker is provided for rubbish with a trash bag holder.
Engine and controls
- A Volvo MD22L four cylinder diesel engine of 50 horsepower is fitted with a MS2L-E gearbox
- The engine is fitted with an 100 amp Leece-Neville alternator.
- The engine is freshwater cooled via a heat exchanger and the raw water inlet is fitted with a plug type filter.
- The exhaust system is run through a pot muffler.
- The standard instruments fitted to engine panel in the cockpit are as follows: a rev counter, water temperature, oil pressure, hour meter
- Warning lights for charging, oil pressure and water temperature
- Engine control is through a single lever control mounted on the starboard side of the binnacle.
- The engine compartment is naturally vented through ducting which runs to vents fitted in the transom. In addition there is forced ventilation to the compartment with a extractor fan and thermostat fitted to the deckhead in the engine compartment. The ambient temperature in the compartment and the exhaust temperature are separately monitored.
- A Darglow Featherstream 3 blade feathering propeller is fitted on a stainless steel shaft. This runs through a bronze P bracket which contains a cutlass bearing. The P bracket is through bolted to the hull.
- The shaft bears an Ambassador rope cutter
- The PSS dripless shaft gland carrying the shaft through the hull is maintenance free, water lubricated.
- Spare fixed 3 blade propeller mounted in foward cabin locker
- Lewmar Concept 2 heavy duty reversible electric anchor windlass with handset control and separate switching at binnacle
- Stainless steel stemhead fitting with twin bow rollers pulpit, pushpit and stanchions in stainless steel
- Twin guardwires with boarding gates on port and starboard
- Pushpits with gate access to sugar scoop stern with custom built large folding boarding ladder
- Teak handrails to coachroof
- Hard teak doghouse with windscreen and opening central panel
- Twin lazarettes for deck storage plus vented gas bottle locker and anchor locker
- Kedge anchor mount on sugar scoop.
- Custom outboard and dinghy crane.
Hull and Deck
GRP superstructure with teak decks, anodised aluminium toe rail, teak in cockpit seats and sole, round-bilged hull, 4 mooring cleats and fairleads, 2 spring cleats and fairleads, twin aft lazarettes for sail and equipment stowage, TecSew bimini. Enterprise hull is fully treated with Coppercoat.
- Compass, electronic speed/log and echo sounder
- VHF radio with masthead aerial
- Automatic bilge pump x2
- Stereo radio CD player with bluetooth and switchable cockpit speakers
- 3 dry powder fire extinguishers plus automatic extinguisher in engine bay
- Mooring warps, fenders, 2 x winch handles
- Emergency tiller
- Folding TecSew bimini and extension awning with water collection system.
Moody 44 was available in three different layouts. This is the layout of Enterprise:
Forward cabin: 2 single ‘V’ berths with infill to convert to a double; hanging locker; opening deck hatch; electric 12v fan; storage for sails and spares; halogen reading lights and LED red/white ceiling light; en suite access to forward shower/toilet.
Starboard Guest Cabin: Twin bunk berths; hanging locker; opening deck hatch. Very useful to use as a larder on long passages.
Forward heads: wash-basin, electric heads by Jabsco , separate shower; hot and cold pressurised water; doors from fore cabin and saloon.
Saloon: large straight settee to port with second settee opposite; large folding-leaf dining table with integral drinks storage and drawers, lockers and shelves, custom book storage; two electric 12v fans; Newport diesel heater; halogen reading lights and LED red/white ceiling lights; opening deck hatch.
Galley: Twin stainless steel sinks, hot and cold pressurised water; Seagull filtered drinking water tap; large custom built fridge and separate freezer; cooker; worktops; microwave opposite; generous stowage lockers for food, crockery and pans, drawers for cutlery; extractor fan; halogen spots.
Navigation area: teak chart table; electrical distribution board with circuit breakers, chart table seat; sat phone; nav instruments; Victron remote control; chart reading lamp.
Port passage cabin: This has been custom designed to provide linen storage; a workbench and large tool and spares storage – again with a view to extended passage making.
Aft stateroom: large central double berth; opening portlights in hull and cabin side; angled aft facing window; opening deck hatch; seats; two hanging lockers; dressing table with mirror; two electric 12v fans; halogen reading lights and LED red/white ceiling lights; en suite shower/toilet compartment with marine wc, wash-basin, shower, opening portlight.
There are numerous 3 pin UK style plug points throughout the boat; two 12v cigar lighter plugs and one USB charging point. All of the lighting in the ceiling has been converted to LED which are switchable red/white (for night vision)
The boat comes with comprehensive manuals and records of items fitted.